Have you ever smelled something and it takes you back to a certain memory? This is being called "scent-stalgia"
A new survey digs into the phenomena and finds 51-percent of us miss the comforting scents of our childhood home.
Here’s what else researchers discovered:
- 66-percent can recognize the unique smell of their home immediately
- three quarters say the smell brings comfort
- 38-percent say it’s familiar
- six in 10 Americans, even as adults, are able to describe the scent of their childhood home, with wood/natural scents like cedar, pine and fresh-cut grass being the most popular (50%), followed by clean scents (48%).
- favorite home scents include floral (17%) and clean or sanitizing (e.g. chlorine bleach) (14%) topped the list, followed by citrus (13%), baked goods (11%) and wood/natural scents (13%).