Seasonal Anxiety is not uncommon, but it's usually associated with Winter. Not summer- the fun, carefree season- full of traveling, vacations and relaxing on the beach . BUT summer can actually trigger anxiety is some people. according to psychotherapist Dr. Crystal Burwell, transitions can trigger anxiety, including seasonal changes.
Here's why summer may trigger your anxiety :
- Summer Season Affective Disorder -"Summer SAD" as it's often called can mess with your sleep. Too much or not enough sunlight can affect your circadian rhythm and less sleep can trigger anxiety.
- The heat- Heat can cause: Higher body temps, sweating & shallow breathing which are all symptoms of anxiety. Because the symtoms are so similar, this can trick you into thinking you're getting anxious, which causes anxiety.
- More social obligations- There are a lot more social gathers that happen in the summer & if you have social anxiety all these events can make it worse.
- No routine- When you're on vacation or break you get out of your typical routine. Dr. Rachel Cavallaro, a psychologist, said, “Boredom can be a trigger for anxiety — your mind needs something to do.”
- Being less covered - Less clothes can cause insecurity.
- Pressure of expectations- Doesn't it seem like everyone is traveling to Italy or Greece this summer?? Plus you know that everyone is going to ask what you did this summer. The pressure to have an amazing, instagram-worthy summer can be overwhelming and if it doesn't live up to those expectations, you can be left feeling disappointed or left out.
To combat this anxiety, create a routine for your summer and make sure you are getting enough sleep. If it's really bad, reach out to a professional.