Summer is basically here, which mean chilling by the pool or at the beach with a cocktail in hand, yes? Yes! they’ll be consuming a lot more alcohol. But what will be people drinking? Well, Drizly has the answer.
Summer drinking trends include:
- Tequila, tequila and more tequila – According to the Drizly survey, Tequila will be one of the most popular spirits Americans plan to purchase (17%), a full seven percentage points ahead of another red-hot spirit, American Whiskey. Only vodka is more popular (18%). Plus, 43% of those surveyed 43% say tequila-based ready-to-drink cocktails are the ones they are most interested in.
- Ready-to-drink cocktails – Ready to drink cocktails is the top adult beverage people think they’ll buy more of this year. Plus, one-third of people say they will be making fewer cocktails at home, with 73% more likely to buy RTDs.
- Millennials & Gen Z opting for non-alcoholic drinks - Not everyone wants to get drunk this summer while enjoying a cocktail. In fact, 38% of Gen Z is interested in replacing traditional drinks with non-alcoholic ones, something only 25% of Millennials, 15% of Gen X and 8% of Boomers are interested in. The top reason for doing so is to have a “healthier lifestyle” (44%).
- Gen Z is big into red wine, and more expensive alcohol – The survey finds Gen Z is the generation most likely to say they will buy more red wine this year (38%). They also say they are more likely to spend more money on premium alcohol when having a get-together.
- Giving alcohol as gifts – More and more people are embracing booze as a gift, with gift purchases up 66% last year over 2020. As for the most popular occasions to buy alcohol, birthdays top the list (64%), followed by holidays (56%).
- Vacation vibes – While folks may have a go-to drink when they are home, most like to change it up on vacation, with 49% of people saying they like to enjoy drinks that match the vibe of their vacation.
Source: Yahoo Finance