Some relationship experts shared some of the most harmful things people say to each other in a relationship, often without realizing the effect of their words.
Are you guilty of saying these phrases?
1. “It’s not a big deal” or “You’ll get over it.”
2. “You’re just like your father.”
3. “You always ... ” or “You never ... ”
4. “You’re doing it wrong. Why can’t you just do it my way?”
5. “I am done.”
6. “You’re too sensitive.”
7. Not saying anything.
1. Be compassionate and let them know you understand & that you support them.
2. Don't compare them to a family member, especially in a negative way. Be straightforward and tell them what specific behavior bothered you and make a request for change.
3. Choose your words carefully, making an absolute kind of statement can make someone tune out everything else you say. Doesn't sound accusatory or like you are finger-pointing at them.
4. Ask if if they want your help. Say something like, "It seems like you are having a hard time with this. I have an idea that might help. Would you like to hear it?"
5. "In this moment I am so angry with you that I feel like I’m done, but I know that I’m not."
6. "I can see why that hurt you”
7. Tell your partner you need a few minutes to tend to yourself but you are willing to come back and talk.