Are you guilty of using emojis and not being 100% sure what they actually mean? You're not alone and we're here to save you from any awkward interactions you may have!
Research shows that 92% of people use emojis in digital communication including texts, social media and even work emails and nearly half of those surveyed (47%) say they sent an emoji “that was misinterpreted or taken out of context.”
To help you stay on top of these ever-changing emoji meanings, here are what common emojis mean in 2023:
- 😭 Loudly Crying Face - This is guilty pleasure laughter or laughing at something you shouldn’t be laughing at.
- 🤣 Rolling on the Floor Laughing - Should only be used when trying to make someone mad, specifically when you are roasting someone.
- 🥵 Hot Face -This one means you’re physically attracted to someone.
- 😹 Cat With Tears of Joy - It’s ironic, sarcastic and “basically used to mock someone.”
- 🙃 Upside Down Face - Apparently it’s the same as the Slightly Smiling Face, but even more passive-aggressive.
- 👍 Thumbs Up - Not a vote of approval, but a “rude, hostile or passive aggressive dismissal intended to permanently end the conversation.”
- 🚶Person Walking - It's meant to signify leaving the room when situations get intensely uncomfortable.
- 🎣 Fishing Pole - This one means fishing for compliments or validation.
- 🙏 Prayer Emoji - As its official name explains, these are praying hands, not a “high five.”
You can read more HERE, but just be a little more selective on what emojis you use!