It's time to FINALLY celebrate May 4th, otherwise known as Star Wars Day!
Out of everyone on the show I am probably the most invested into Star Wars, I've been a fan since Day 1 out of the womb! With that, here is the real history behind how this day came to be all about Star Wars:
In the 1979 British election for Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher became the first female prime minister and put an ad in the London Evening News to celebrate her victory! In her ad it read, "May the Fourth be with you, Maggie. Congratulations."
Yep, it all started with Margaret Thatcher! Also May happens to be the same month George Lucas was born and when Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope premiered in 1977! So, in celebration of the franchise that has made movie blockbusters the things they are, here are some deals and other things you can do to celebrate the Fourth (get it? like the "Force"):
- Amazon: Score Deals of the Day across all product categories and licensees, including Mattel, Hallmark, InstaPot, Fifth SUN, Diamond Comics, Sales One, Northwest, Simple Modern, Bandai, and many more.
- Bandai America: Rescue a Star Wars R2-D2 Tamagotchi for 30% off.
- Build-A-Bear: Enjoy up to 30% off most of the Star Wars collection.
- Disney Movie Insiders: All digital Star Wars films available on sale through May 10.
- Dr. Squatch: Save 10% on the Star Wars soap collection.
- Heroes & Villains: Enjoy 20% off select Star Wars products
- LEGO: Pick up a Lars Family Homestead Kitchen or an AT-ST gift with select LEGO Star Wars purchases. VIP Members enjoy an exclusive Mandalorian Beskar Keychain gift.
- MeUndies: Take 20% off all Star Wars prints.
- Sideshow: Get up to 25% off select in-stock Star Wars collectibles.
WATCH THE MOVIES AND SHOWS:
One of the first (and in my opinion best) things to do ALL day on Star Wars Day is to watch all of the movies! You can watch them on your own, but if you own Disney+ you can now watch EVERY movie in The Skywalker Saga, including The Rise of Skywalker, Solo: A Star Wars Story, and Rogue One.
Also today is the perfect day to rewatch The Mandalorian or The Book of Boba Fett if you need some Grogu in your life!
PLAY THE GAMES:
In the past few years there has been a HUGE rise in Star Wars video games made for everyone in the family! Two of the best options are Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga!
Jedi: Fallen Order is a single player game that takes place between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope and is great if you want a NEW in-canon Star Wars story and become a Jedi! LEGO Star Wars on the other hand is the perfect game for any Star Wars fan even if you haven't seen all the movies!
EXPERIENCE THE RIDES:
Even if you plan to visit Disney World or Disneyland this Summer to visit the planet of Batuu aka Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, you can also go on the ride virtually!
Both Smuggler's Run AND Rise of the Resistance have video versions of the ride that you can experience. Now it won't satisfy the same itch, but just let them serve as temporary theme park void-fillers!
LISTEN TO THE MUSIC:
John Williams is one of the greatest composers alive and he's composed most of theStar Wars films. Why not honor him by listening to the best songs from the saga? My personal recommendation would be "Duel of Fates," the Main Theme, or "Jabba Flow!"
Now if you excuse me, I am going to go back to watching the series premiere of The Bad Batch, play Star Wars Battlefront II, and practice my lightsaber skills with my Kylo Ren lightsaber!