When you are trying to find that special someone, the last thing on most people’s mind is money, but it shouldn’t be. Money plays a big role in relationships, and there are signs that may indicate money may become an issue down the road if you pay attention.
Research by the UK firm MoneySuperMarket has revealed the top financial red flags to look out for when on a first date:
- 46% of people say someone flaunting their wealth or showing off expensive items is the biggest red flag.
- Ordering the most expensive item off the menu (37%)
- Refusing to admit financial privilege (40%)
- Gender rules/expectations about who pays the bill (28%)
- Paying for items with a credit card (27%)
Other things you should keep an eye out for:
- 52% of people are not down with someone trying to look wealthier than they are.
- 40% of people say another major red flag is someone being secretive about their income.
Other relationship red flags include:
- Job instability (43%)
- Uses buy now pay later schemes (35%)
- Regularly uses their credit card (33%)
Source: Metro UK