We know it's hard to stay positive during the winter months, especially with everything else going on in the world right now, but we wanted to share some ways to help you boost your mood and help you self-care in 2022!
Here are some ways to use your travel time in the car, metro, or while walking to your advantage:
- Focus on your favorite song - Playing your favorite music will always add some joy to your day and studies show that happy music is associated with mindfulness meditation, which can also improve your mood.
- Smell a calming scent - Lavender and mint are popular essential oils that may calm you down and boost your mood, but if you prefer citrus or some other scent, bring it on.
- Take a few deep breaths - Deep breathing takes you out of situations and helps you calm down. Try taking three deep breaths, inhaling for four seconds, and exhaling for eight seconds when you need that reset.
- Catch up with a loved one - Call someone who makes you feel loved and supported and you’ll arrive with a mood boost that improves mental health.
- Listen to your favorite podcast - Not one that’s work- or news-focused, but one that makes you laugh or one that’s mental health-related from a source you trust.
- Prioritize a splurge - Treat yourself to a little reward when you’re able. Changing up your commute with these occasional treats will give you something to look forward to that’ll make you happy.
Now get out there and be happy during your commute back home this week!