We all want a work bestie in our life so that we have a go-to person during the workday to rant and hang out with, but you might want to be a little more selective when choosing how many work friends you have!
A human resources expert just revealed that a lot of work friendships can become toxic due to professional jealousy, deadlines, and a lack of boundaries, but here are the five signs they say to look out for with a toxic work friend:
- Your friend expects you to take their side at work all the time - A good friend understands that you need to maintain professional boundaries to do your job and not just side with them because you're their friend.
- Your ability to get your job done would be jeopardized if you ended the friendship - If you are scared of getting on your work friend’s bad side because you have seen them eviscerate their work enemies, that’s a sign that the relationship has a toxic foundation.
- Your work friend betrays your trust - Good friendships are built on mutual trust, and toxic friendships are built on feeling like you always have to watch your back around the other person.
- You become rude or gossipy when you are with this friend – The company you keep at work says a lot about your values, whether you intend it to or not. Bad vibes are contagious: Research has found that being around rude work bullies makes us more likely to be uncivil and mean, too.
- Hanging out fills you with more ambivalence and dread than excitement - In unhealthy work friendship dynamics there can be mixed feelings that make it harder for people to know whether or not they should end the friendship.
To learn more about each of these signs you can go HERE, but you do you boo and make sure you shine at work because that's what you're getting paid for!