A wedding therapist has revealed the 5 things you should talk about before getting engaged to make sure you are on the same page with big life things and it won't cause an issue later down the road.
The 5 things include:
- CHILDREN: Not only should you talk about IF you want children, but also how you want to raise them.
- MONEY: Money is often a taboo topic, but if you are planning on getting married it's a good idea to discuss your finances, even if you don't plan on combining your money once you're married.
- FAMILY: Talk about how your parents and extended family play a role in your lives.
- CULTURAL AND RELIGIOUS DIFFERENCES: This can become sources of stress if you don't talk about them early. Bejar also said discussing your religious and cultural backgrounds early on in your relationship might make wedding planning smoother.
- SEX: Don't assume you and your partner are one the same page about sex. Bejar said she encourages her clients to talk about intimacy expectations as they look toward marriage.
Don't wait until you are already engaged to find out if you guys can navigate these topics together.