It's time to FINALLY celebrate May 4th, otherwise known as Star Wars Day!
Out of everyone on the show I am probably the most invested into Star Wars, I've been a fan since Day 1 out of the womb! With that, here is the real history behind how this day came to be all about Star Wars:
In the 1979 British election for Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher became the first female prime minister and put an ad in the London Evening News to celebrate her victory! In her ad it read, "May the Fourth be with you, Maggie. Congratulations."
Yep, it all started with Margaret Thatcher! Also May happens to be the same month George Lucas was born and when Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope premiered in 1977! So, in celebration of the franchise that has made movie blockbusters the things they are, here are some deals and other things you can do to celebrate the Fourth (get it? like the "Force"):
- Amazon: Snag deals on the exclusive LEGO Razor Crest as well as other Star Wars products, plus a new Star Wars subscription Tee program.
- Build-A-Bear: Use code FORCE20 to receive 20% off your Build-A-Bear online purchase of the Child-inspired plush Grogu!
- GameStop: Get up to 50% off select Star Wars toys and collectibles through May 8th
- Hallmark: Get a fourth, or 25%, off select Star Wars products!
- HerUniverse: All Star Wars apparel will be 40% off
- Heroes & Villains: Take 25% or more off select Star Wars products including The Bad Batch collection on May 5 a.k.a. Revenge of the Fifth!
- Otterbox: Snag 15% off Star Wars products in the cases and den series!
- Polaroid: Save 40% on the Polaroid Now i-Type Camera – The Mandalorian Edition!
- Rubies (Costumes): Take 10-25% off Star Wars costumes for the whole family!
- Target: Get 20% off Star Wars toys, clothes, and more on Target.com.
WATCH THE MOVIES AND SHOWS:
One of the first (and in my opinion best) things to do ALL day on Star Wars Day is to watch all of the movies! You can watch them on your own, but if you own Disney+ you can now watch EVERY movie in The Skywalker Saga, including The Rise of Skywalker, Solo: A Star Wars Story, and Rogue One.
Also today is the 70-minute SERIES PREMIERE of The Bad Batch, which is the sequel series to The Clone Wars! You can also rewach The Mandalorian if you need some Grogu in your life!
PLAY THE GAMES:
In the past two years there has been a HUGE rise in Star Wars video games made for everyone in the family! Two of the best options are Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Star Wars Battlefront 2!
Jedi: Fallen Order is a single player game that takes place between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope and is great if you want a NEW in-canon Star Wars story and become a Jedi! Battlefront 2 on the other hand is the game you want to squad up with friends and take down the Empire or First Order!
EXPERIENCE THE RIDES:
You might have planned to visit Disney World or Disneyland this Summer to visit the planet of Batuu aka Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, but you still can virtually!
Both Smuggler's Run AND Rise of the Resistance have video versions of the ride that you can experience. Now it won't satisfy the same itch, but just let them serve as temporary theme park void-fillers!
LISTEN TO THE MUSIC:
John Williams is one of the greatest composers alive and he's composed most of theStar Wars films. Why not honor him by listening to the best songs from the saga? My personal recommendation would be "Duel of Fates," the Main Theme, or "Jabba Flow!"
Now if you excuse me, I am going to go back to watching the series premiere of The Bad Batch, play Star Wars Battlefront II, and practice my lightsaber skills with my Kylo Ren lightsaber!
Photo Credit: Star Wars