I came across a study that said that 73% of Americans say they were extra conscious of needing self-care last year and 69% plan to practice even more self-care in 2021. Then the study broke down the top things Americans are doing for self-care which included...
- At-home spa rituals (47%)
- Visiting the spa for treatments (41%)
- Getting a mani/pedi at a nail salon (36%)
- Getting a haircut at a salon/barber (34%)
- Home hair treatments (34%)
- Exercising outdoors (33%)
- Working out in a gym (31%)
- Getting hair colored at a salon (30%)
- Taking a fitness class of any kind (29%)
- Meditating (28%)
And while I LOVE this kind of self-care. I think this concept has been "glamourized". And the Tik Tok algorithm confirmed my thought. I came across a Tik Tok (which I cannot find) that verbalized everything I was thinking about self-care. Sometimes self-care is not that glamorous. Sometimes self-care is evaluating relationships and removing negative people from your life. Sometimes self-care is taking a hard look at your budget and evaluating your finances. Sometimes self-care is going to the gym even though it is the last thing you want to do. Sometimes self-care is doing those things you really do not want to do so you can create a future you'll enjoy....but a face mask is good sometimes too.
Photo: Getty Images