We love our pets, but they can be EXPENSIVE at times, especially whenever we have to go to the vet! However, there are some key things you can do to actually save money on your next vet trip!
While no pet is immune to accidents or sickness, according to actual vets these are the ways you can prevent having to go to the vet more than you need to:
- Ask about preventative packages - Ask your vet if there are preventative packages available at their practice that will help you save on annual exams.
- Get written prescriptions - If your pet needs a specialty diet or medication for a chronic illness, ask your vet for a written prescription. You’ll be able to find your own pharmacy and shop around.
- Know your breed - Getting to know your breed lets you know what illnesses they are more likely to develop. Breeds like Golden Retrievers and Bernese Mountain Dogs are more likely than other breeds to develop cancer.
- Don’t skip annual visits - You may think you’re saving money, but it’ll cost you more in the long run since your vet will track things year to year.
- Brush your pet’s teeth - It can avoid pricey dental surgery.
- Become your dog’s groomer - If you can, learn how to groom your dog. Even being able to bathe them, trim their nails and brush their coat between full haircuts can save tons of money in the long term.