It's been over a decade in the making, but I finally got to see Black Adam a little early and while it might not change the "hierarchy of power in the DCEU," it is an entertaining film that if you're a fan of The Rock's other films you'll also enjoy!
The Rock does a great job at portraying the first live-action adaptation of Teth-Adam/Black Adam and if you've seen any of his other films then you know what to expect with his performance which got better as the film progresses.
The film is a little heavy with its exposition at the beginning of the film and while it isn't an Avengers: Endgame-type film that unites fans of all ages, for me it was entertaining throughout and is the culmination of everything The Rock has been doing in Hollywood.
Here are some of my initial, SPOILER-FREE, thoughts on the film and what stood out to me just in case you need more (or less) incentive to watch it:
- While we didn't get a lot of background of the JSA (Justice Society of America), I really liked Hawkman and Doctor Fate and hope they are two characters that can featured more across the DCEU.
- The CGI at times can be a little distracting, especially at the end of the film, but after you get used to it you kind of see past it to enjoy the film more.
- Black Adam feels more like the Zak Snyder version of the DCEU, which I personally enjoyed, and does set a new precedence in the DCEU with some connecting characters.
- The villains are kind of generic until the film's third act, which if you've seen any of the trailers feels like it almost wasn't needed besides making Black Adam more heroic.
- There is ONE end-credit scene that you may have already been spoiled, but it is a GAME-CHANGER and something DC fans have wanted for a few years!
Watch my full review for Black Adam below:
I'm giving Black Adam 7 out of 10 Rock Bottoms because while it doesn't change the "hierarchy of power in the DCEU," it's an entertaining film that shows promise that the DCEU is still kicking and ready to turn over a new leaf! Black Adam is in theaters starting on October 21st!