I got to see Eternals a few days early with Kevin thanks to Marvel Studios and you definitely need to ignore the bad reviews of the film because I had a good time with the film and while it definitely is the most "cinematic" MCU movie to-date, it also has a lot of heart to it.
You might not know anything about the Eternals, but they are essentially "immortal beings" (couldn't use "eternal" there haha) that were sent to Earth to protect it from an evil pack of organisms called the Deviants. They're essentially the heroes that inspire legends and folklore in the MCU. Hopefully that gives you an explanation in layman's terms as to what they are.
Here are some of my initial, SPOILER-FREE, thoughts on the film and what stood out to me:
- There are TWO end credit scenes, one of which got spoiled/leaked last month so make sure you stay in your seats until the very end of the movie and one that will have you searching Google to confirm your theories.
- Kumail Nanjiani and Brian Tyree Henry were probably my favorite Eternals from the film and while you think this film wouldn't be that funny, it actually is at times.
- This is definitely a film you need to pay attention to/watch twice just because of all the exposition that happens to establish this realm of the MCU. You definitely want to see it in theaters to focus for this.
- There is no "true villain" in the film, but if you know any family drama film, which Eternals is loosely based on, then you know the antagonist is the "butting of heads" between family members.
- Kit Harrington isn't in this film that much and while you could say he was "wasted" in the film, I am excited to see what happens for him in any future sequel/spin-off
- This definitely will be a litmus test for the type of MCU fan you/your partner are! Chloe Zhao makes it the most "cinematic" Marvel movie, but there are some holes/leaps in logic at times because of that.
Watch my full review for Eternals below:
I'm giving Eternals 8.1 out of 10 steam engines, which is a non-spoiler reference in the movie, because overall I had a good time with the movie and while there were some plot holes and leaps for certain parts of the movie, I still am excited to see where the MCU takes the characters in their next outing whenever that may happen! Eternals will be in theaters starting on November 5th!
Photo Credit: Walt Disney Pictures