It's time to FINALLY celebrate May 4th, otherwise known as Star Wars Day!
Out of everyone on the show I am probably the most invested into Star Wars, I've been a fan since Day 1 out of the womb! With that, here is the real history behind how this day came to be all about Star Wars:
In the 1979 British election for Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher became the first female prime minister and put an ad in the London Evening News to celebrate her victory! In her ad it read, "May the Fourth be with you, Maggie. Congratulations."
Yep, it all started with Margaret Thatcher! Also May happens to be the same month George Lucas was born and when Star Wars Episode IV:A New Hope premiered in 1977! So, in celebration of the franchise that has made movie blockbusters the things they are, here are some deals and other things you can do to celebrate the Fourth (get it? like the "Force"):
- Skywalker Saga: Own EVERY movie in the Skywalker Saga for $79 or purchase them individually for $9.99***
- ShopDisney: Tons of exclusive pins and merchandise will be on sale including a set of Ahsoka Mickey Mouse Ears
- HerUniverse: All Star Wars apparel will be 30% off
- Entertainment Earth: Free shipping on all Star Wars merchandise with code SHPSWFREE
- Target: Select Star Wars toys and merchandise will be 20% off
- LEGO: Get a free exclusive Death Star II Battle gift with LEGO Star Wars purchases over $75
- Cakeworthy: 40% off all Star Wars products
- Hot Topic: Select Star Wars toys and merchandise will be 30% off
- Sideshow Collectibles: Up to $100 off premium Star Wars collectibles
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Video Game): Get up to 60% off the game based on the version your purchase
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Video Game): Get 33% off every version of the game
- Queen's Shadow (eBook): Get the book for FREE through May 8
WATCH THE MOVIES AND SHOWS:
One of the first (and in my opinion best) things to do ALL day on Star Wars Day is to watch all of the movies! You can watch them on your own, but if you own Disney+ you can now watch EVERY movie in The Skywalker Saga, including The Rise of Skywalker, and Rogue One. If you wanted to watch Solo: A Star Wars Story you still have to go to Netflix!
Also today the SERIES FINALE of The Clone Wars is premiering and the very first episode of Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian, a behind-the-scenes docuseries also is releasing on Disney+!
PLAY THE GAMES:
In the past two years there has been a HUGE rise in Star Wars video games made for everyone in the family! Two of the best options are Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Star Wars Battlefront 2!
Jedi: Fallen Order is a single player game that takes place between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope and is great if you want a NEW in-canon Star Wars story and be a Jedi! Battlefront 2 on the other hand is the game you want to squad up with friends and take down the Empire or First Order. Plus it just had its final update added!
ALSO if you are a fan of Fortnite then know that they just re-released ALL the Rise of Skywalker skins and other cosmetics for the next 24 hours!
EXPERIENCE THE RIDES:
You might have planned to visit Disney World or Disneyland this Summer to visit the planet of Batuu aka Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, but you still can virtually!
Both Smuggler's Run AND Rise of the Resistance have video versions of the ride that you can experience. Now it won't satisfy the same itch, but just let them serve as temporary theme park void-fillers!
LISTEN TO THE MUSIC:
John Williams is one of the greatest composers alive and he's composed most of theStar Wars films. Why not honor him by listening to the best songs from the saga? My personal recommendation would be "Duel of Fates," the Main Theme, or "Jabba Flow!"
Now if you excuse me, I am going to go back to watching the final four episodes of The Clone Wars, play Star Wars Battlefront II, and practice my lightsaber skills with my Kylo Ren lightsaber!
Photo Credit: Getty Images