Totally okay if you already saw the movie, but because of the holidays I FINALLY got to watch Aquaman and I'm actually interested to see if DC continues off of the more lighthearted trend depicted in the movie!
Aquaman has always been a hero that is kind fo the "dweeb" of the Justice League up until Justice League and Jason Mamoa actually makes the character fun! Throughout the entire film his weirdest power, that he can talk to fish, is actually one of the coolest to see happen in the movie.
The movie is cheesy at times and I did wish they would explain things a little bit more, but the action and adventure was great! Here are some of my initial, SPOILER-FREE, thoughts on the film and what stood out to me:
- Aquaman IS Jason Mamoa and if the character is ever going to be played by someone else he'll be the first comparison in your head.
- The underwater action scenes are so colorful and beautiful and I wish the movie had more of them.
- There is a mid-credits' scene that hopefully means that Aquaman 2 will be a little more focused story-wise.
- Pitbull's cover of "Africa" is really weird, but at the end of the movie I kept humming it.
- Black Manta isn't really used a lot in the film, but they are obviously going to save him for future installments since he's The Joker of the Aquaman comics.
Watch my full review for Aquaman below:
I'm giving the film 7 out of 10 Aquaman tridents to what is now the biggest DCEU movie of all time, but I would recommend seeing it for sure on HBO or streaming when it gets there! Aquaman is in theaters now!
Photo Credit: Warner Bros. Pictures