It's time for the end...the end of waiting to finally celebrate May 4th, otherwise known as Star Wars Day!
Out of all the interns I am probably the most invested into Star Wars, I've been a fan since day 1 out of the womb! Plus, this year marks the 40th Anniversary of Star Wars! With that, here is the real history behind how this day came to be all about Star Wars:
In the 1979 British election for Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher became the first female prime minister and put an ad in the London Evening News to celebrate her victory! In her ad it read, "May the Fourth be with you, Maggie. Congratulations."
Yep, it all started with Margaret Thatcher! Also May happens to be the same month George Lucas was born and when Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope premiered in 1977!
So, in celebration of the franchise that has made movie blockbusters the things they are, here are some deals and other things you can do to celebrate the Fourth (get it? like the "Force"):
WATCH THE MOVIES:
One of the first (and in my opinion best) things to do ALL day on Star Wars Day is to watch all of the movies! You can watch them on your own, but TBS is actually playing the first six movies all day so you can force jump in at any point!
RIDE/EXPERIENCE THE RIDES
You could fork out the money to go to Disney Land or Disney World to ride the Star Tours rides, or you can just experience it for yourself at home! Relive one of the best rides Disney has to offer presented in 360° 4K!
- Amazon: Get the six-movie digital collection — including Episode I through Episode VI — for $79.99
- Apple: Up to 67% off Star Wars Apps and Games
- Barnes & Noble: Take 20 percent off any Star Wars item with code C8EGU431TVN57; Get Thrawn by Timothy Zahn for $17.39
- FYE: 20% off all Star Wars merchandise
- Hot Topic: 25% off all Star Wars merch in-stores and online
- Hot Wheels: 25% off all Hot Wheels Star Wars items with code STARWARS
- Lego Stores: Get an exclusive buildable R2-D2 with purchases of $50 or more.
- PetCo: 25% off all Star Wars Pet Collection Items
- Pottery Barn: 20% Off Star Wars Collection with code PKSTARWARS
- Sphero: All Star Wars products are $20 off
- Target: 20% off select Star Wars toys
- Toys “R” Us: All Star Wars: Rogue One figures, role play and vehicles are 25% off
LISTEN TO THE MUSIC:
John Williams is one of the greatest composers alive and he's composed most of the Star Wars films. Why not honor him by listening to the best songs from the saga? My personal reccomendation would be "Duel of Fates," the Main Theme, or "Jabba Flow?!"
Certain stores are actually putting on events to celebrate May 4th as well. Here are the stores and what you can expect:
- Amazon: Your Echo devices will recite the Jedi Code on Star Wars Day only
- C. 1949 Bar and Beer Garden: An Actual Star Wars Day Party for Adults Onl!
- Disney Stores: A Star Wars Opening Ceremony, Jedi Training, drawing classes, and interactive story times
MAKE YOUR OWN "BLUE MILK:"
That's right you can make your own blue milk and it only takes a few ingredients! Here's what you need:
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- blue food gel dye
Just stir together the milk, sugar, and vanilla, add a drop of blue food gel dye and then refrigerate and your just as good as Aunt Beru!
Now if you excuse me, I am going to go back to watching the original trilogy, The Force Awakens, Rogue One, and watch The Last Jedi trailer while eating my Yoda-shaped Jell-o and playing with a BB-8 droid!!