I got to see Godzilla: King of the Monsters early and I got to say that it has some of the most EPIC monster fights I have ever seen in a theater!
Just to let you know this will be as SPOILER-FREE as possible, but overall I thought the movie delivered on the monster action when compared to the 2014 Godzilla, but it still had the same shortcomings with the human story!
Every time I wanted more monsters fighting, which is why I think a lot of people are going to see the film, they cut to the human story, which was better than the 2014 film, but still felt lacking. Also just to let you know that this is the THIRD movie in the series if you count Kong: Skull Island, which is connected. Here are some of my initial, SPOILER-FREE, thoughts on the film and what stood out to me:
- The mom in the film was my least favorite part! The movie wants you to like her, but near the end it's nearly impossible.
- There are a TON of easter eggs for Godzilla fans
- Tywin Lannister (the actor's real name is Charles Dance) isn't used that much in the film, but when he is he steals the scene.
- The movie DOES set up Godzilla vs. Kong, which comes out in 2020!
- There IS an end-credits scene!
Watch my full review for Godzilla: King of the Monsters below:
I'm giving the film 7.1 out of 10 monarch symbols, and like I said you should definitely stream this movie unless you're a huge monster fan/love great sound quality! Godzilla: King of the Monsters is in theaters starting on May 31st!
Photo Credit: Warner Bros.