Every Fourth of July, people rush out of DC like there's a volcano erupting. I've never understood it. We live in the NATION'S CAPITAL... on the day we celebrate our nation! Why would we sit in traffic for hours just to be on a crowded beach or wait in line to get into a bar or something? We have a lovely city that deserves our attention and celebration!
So here are my picks for things to do, in case you're out of ideas.
- Get some crabs at the Wharf and have a picnic. They have some seating options within the Wharf area, or you could head to the Mall or any of the dozens of parks with a blanket, lots of napkins, and a mallet of course. [I'm still unsure of alcohol rules but I assume it's generally not allowed so... don't be waving any bottles around or giving out free shots.]
- Head to the Georgetown Waterfront for drinks and/or water activities. I did this last year and was shocked by how not-busy it was. We stayed at Tony and Joe's pretty much all day and then saw the incredible fireworks [from multiple shows/areas] on the water at night.
- Do the same as the above, but at the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard area. They even have the mini pool/fountain thing for people to cool off in.
- Go to a great rooftop bar for a lovely view and drink service. I've gone to Brixton in the past... Crimson is a good idea, too... and dozens of other places.
- Nationals Game at 11:05! Taking on the Red Sox, it's the most American way to start the day. Say hey to my brother while you're there!
- The parade starts at 11:45 on Constitution Ave! It'll run between 7th and 17th streets
- Free concert: A Capitol Fourth. John Stamos and the Beach Boys are performing! Plus- Jimmy Buffet, Pentatonix, Andy Grammer, Luke Combs and Lauren Alaina!
- The Smithsonian Folklife Festival is also going on at the Mall
- Mount Vernon is doing a special, all day event
- Free For All Show at Pearl Street Warehouse. Live music all day starting at 11:30am!
- Drag LUNCH at Nellie's
- American Drinkdependence Day at Jack Rose Saloon- rooftop party! Drink specials and the launch of new beers.
- Freedom Fest at Republic- Maryland beers and a cook-out menu... it's all you really need.
- Red, White and Fuego Party at Mission
- Brats, Beer and Freedom Party at Dacha Beer Garden
EVEN MORE DRINKING AND PARTY AND FOOD IDEAS.. CLICK HERE.