Alexandria Schools will be closed on Wednesday, March 8th after receiving more than 300 requests from staff members for the day off.
Wednesday is the "Day Without a Woman" protest that has gained significant traction nationwide after the Women's Marches held around the world in January. Wednesday is also "International Women's Day".
The school system reports that many parents have reached out to express disagreement with the decision but not they did not "make the decision lightly" and that it is not rooted in politics.
Wednesday will now be a teacher workday for Alexandria schools.
ACPS will provide breakfast at 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. and lunch at 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at:
- Patrick Henry Elementary School
- Jefferson-Houston School
- Cora Kelly School for Math, Science and Technology
- William Ramsay Elementary School
- Francis C. Hammond Middle School
- T.C. Williams High School