Some famous songs are painstakingly written over weeks, months, or even YEARS. But others are written in almost no time at all. And sometimes, like in the case of "My Sharona", it definitely shows . . . but hey, a hit is a hit, right?
VH1.com has a list of "20 Monster Hit Songs That Were Written In Just Minutes." Not all of them are listed with the how long they took to write, but major components of all of them were done in less than a day. Here's the list:
1. "Paranoid", Black Sabbath. Bassist Geezer Butler claims it was thrown together merely as a "three-minute filler for the album."
2. "All Falls Down", Kanye West. It's a "re-imagining" of Lauryn Hill's "Mystery of Iniquity" that he wrote in just under 15 minutes.
3. "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes. Jack White wrote the riff during a sound-check before a show in Australia.
4. "Sweet Child O' Mine", Guns N' Roses. Slash says the riff came together in five minutes, and the rest of the song followed.
5. "Yesterday", The Beatles. Paul McCartney says he woke up one day with the song in his head, and immediately started working it out on the piano. He did spend a good amount of time writing the lyrics, though.
6. "Royals", Lorde. She wrote the song in a half-hour . . . at the age of 15.
7. "Single Ladies", Beyoncé. The-Dream produced it, and says it was completed in just 20 minutes.
8. "Rock 'N' Roll", Led Zeppelin. It was written in 15 minutes, after drummer John Bonham launched into the intro for Little Richard's "Keep a Knockin'".
9. "Losing My Religion", R.E.M. The hook came from guitarist Peter Buck messing around while he was giving himself mandolin lessons.
10. "What'd I Say", Ray Charles. He came up with the groove while screwing around at the end of a late night set.
11. "We Are Never Getting Back Together", Taylor Swift. She recorded it in just 25 minutes, after whining to a friend about a break-up.
12. "Cherry Pie", Warrant. Jani Lane wrote it in just under 15 minutes, after being asked to produce a more "radio-friendly" hit. But he HATED it. In 2006, he said, quote, "I had no intention of writing that song . . .
"All of a sudden the album's called 'Cherry Pie' . . . I'm doing cherry pie eating contests, the single's 'Cherry Pie' . . . everything about me is 'Cherry Pie'. I'm the 'Cherry Pie' guy. I could shoot myself in the [effing] head for writing that song."
13. "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)", The Beastie Boys. They've said they wrote the lyrics on a napkin in FIVE minutes.
14. "Life on Mars?", David Bowie. He says he wrote it in one afternoon.
15. "Skyfall", Adele. She wrote the lyrics in 10 minutes . . . and it won her a Grammy, a Golden Globe and an Oscar.
16. "Loser", Beck. It was written AND recorded in his producer's kitchen, in less than six hours.
17. "My Sharona", The Knack. Guitarist Berton Averre had been kicking the riff around for years, but singer Doug Fiegerinsisted that the rest was written in under 15 minutes.
18. "Under Pressure", Queen & David Bowie. They supposedly wrote it in one night . . . although some say the classic bass line was added later.
19. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", The Rolling Stones. Keith Richards laid down the hook on a bedside tape recorder just before falling asleep.
20. "Song 2", Blur. They reportedly wrote it in 10 minutes.