WARNING: This may ruin the way you enjoy some reality shows... or maybe you're aware that not everything is real... either way, here's the truth.
FIRST OF ALL: I can personally vouch that what you see on MTV's Real World is real. It may be driven by alcohol/crazy people... and edited like crazy, but everything really happens without any scripts.
According to this post on Thought Catalog:
- MTV's MADE: VERY scripted. Told people what to say in the hallways
- Bachelor/Bachelorette: Not SCRIPTED, just made with heavy amounts of "suggested" alcohol
- Jerry Springer: Surely you saw this coming, but it's all scripted with actors.
- Amish shows: Again... surely you didn't think these were real? They pay people to use the "lot."
- House Hunters: The people "hunting" have already found their new home, and are pretending to consider others.
- Extreme Makeover: The families were real, and really in need, but Ty and the gang did zero heavy lifting.
- Hoarders: Real! Hallelujah there is some truth in the world!
- Cops: Another scripted show bites the dust.
- 16 & Pregnant: Minor details are fake. Tyler and Caitlyn didn't really win prom king and queen.
- Super Sweet 16: People are paid to cause drama, like push over the cake.
- The Biggest Loser: They have the entire story planned out ahead of time, and they just use the footage they get to create the story.
It's still entertaining!!! I DON'T CARE.